This blog is dedicated to my stories, the people I meet and all of the wonderful adventures and misadventures I have while travelling. It’s a personal recollection of all of the amazing places I’ve been lucky enough to visit in this world.
I live everyday dreaming of my next adventure and I want to see as much of this incredible world as I can. My favourite type of travel is off the beaten track where you can really get out of your comfort zone and immerse yourself in culture. Anything active and adventurous is my kind of thing.
Now for a little bit about me and where my passion for travel began. For most of my life I have been a synchronised swimmer. I spent nearly 10 years on the Australian national team and I got to represent my country in competitions all over the world. To name a few; I competed in three World Championships, two World Cups and the Beijing and London Olympic Games! These were definitively career highlights and nothing beats visiting a country that is hosting an Olympics. It’s safe to say that all my travels with synchro have left me with an unquenchable thirst to visit EVERYwhere, I’ve got the travel bug and I have got it bad!
Since finishing on the national team in 2012 following the London Olympics I’ve been studying marketing at QUT, working as much as I can and traveling every chance I get. I might have even taken a semester off to visit South America. It’s safe to say my bucket list is never ending and every time I manage to tick something off I usually end up adding a whole lot more! Right now these are the top 11 on my list (I tried to make it top 10 but I couldn’t cut it down!):
4. Take a dip in the Gunlom Plunge pool located in Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia- I might be Australian but this country is huge and there is so much of it that I still need to see! Kakadu National park and natures own infinity pool is definitely a priority.
5. Hike the Haiku Stairs in Hawaii- right now this is against the law but I have a sliver of hope that one day it will be open to the public.
6. Visit Zhangijiajia National forest in China- This incredible national park is made up of pillar like formations and it looks exactly like Pandora from the movie Avatar. Located in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area this UNESCO world heritage site looks absolutely stunning!
7. Trek to Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea.
8. Hot air balloon over Bagan in Myanmar
9. NEW YORK CITY- How I am yet to visit the city that never sleeps is beyond me!
10. Climb Mount Fuji in Japan- I’ve already visited Japan a couple of times and there is nothing that compare to this beautiful country, I’ll take any opportunity to get back there and I think climbing Japans highest and most prominent mountain is the perfect excuse.
11. Swim with the whale sharks- Whether it be in the Philippines, Mexico or Australia’s coral coast I want to get up close a personal with these gentle giants.
Trust me when I say this is only a very small snippet of my list. There’s so many places I want to visit and adventures I want to have, I feel like I could travel for the rest of my life and still only tick off half the things on my list. That’s it for now, I’m taking off on the weekend to add another country to my list of places I’ve been. I’m going to Malaysian Borneo to trek through the jungle, snorkel in crystal clear waters and if I’m lucky see a cheeky orangutan in the wild. Stay tuned for my Bornean travel diary and snapshots.